Five Items to Take on Holiday When You Rent a 4 x 4 in South Africa
Picture yourself having the most amazing experience in the bush. Wildlife is all around and there is stunning scenery. You are sipping sundowners and it is just so peaceful and relaxing. While the 4×4 that you have rented has made this trip possible, there are quite a few additional items that you cannot do without and that add to the enjoyment of your holiday.
We take a quick look at just a few additional items you should consider taking with you when you rent a 4×4 in South Africa and hit the road:
- A good camera. If you are not a skilled photographer, it may be a good idea to take a camera with you that has a zoom lens and a good auto-focus feature, especially if you are viewing wildlife. Auto-focus works well for those times when the animal is constantly moving and you do not have time to adjust the focus manually. That zoom lens is a bonus for those far-away shots of the more skittish wildlife. Do not forget to pack an extra memory card, just in case you get trigger happy and need more storage space.
- A strong pair of binoculars. When you rent a 4×4 in South Africa, a pair of binoculars should be the first thing that you stow in the vehicle’s cubby for your trip! There are various types of binoculars and they are all categorised according to their magnification level and the diameter of the lens.
- A water-resistant day bag. When you are out on a day trip, your day bag carries all your valuables including your camera, binoculars, and cellphone. It needs to be water-resistant and should be light-weight. Try to find something with many pockets that can be zipped up to hold your things securely. Bear in mind, however, that although the bag may be water-resistant, it may not be watertight. It would still be wise to place your valuables into sealable plastic bags in the day bag as an extra precaution.
- Lightweight sun hat. In South Africa, the sun can be scorchingly hot and the days long and sweltering. When you are out in the bush in these conditions, you need a sun hat to protect your face, ears, and neck. Some sun hats are made of specialised sweat-wicking material. This fabric draws moisture away from the scalp and to the outside of the hat where it can evaporate.
- Insect repellent. This is one of the vital items you need when you rent a 4×4 in South Africa and head off on holiday. There is nothing worse than not being able to get to sleep because you have a horde of mosquitoes buzzing around in your tent at night. You can now buy a spray which contains permethrin (which kills insects on contact) to use on your clothes.
Rent A 4×4 in South Africa at Ivory 4×4 Hire
Ready to enjoy the backroads of South Africa? Contact Ivory 4×4 Hire to chat about renting a fully-equipped 4×4 for your upcoming self-drive safari.